Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Things had to get difficult at some point

So I figured it was time to update...a lot has been happening. At this point in time I am really frustrated with this school and the program. I know things work very differently in Chile, but even as my cooperating teacher acknowledges, thats why things are not progressing as well here as in other countries. Im tired of hearing phrases such as "It´s Chile" as an excuse or "be patient." They joke because I am American and want things accomplished now or done quickly, but maybe thats the reason our country has progressed the way it has. Many Americans have an urgency about them with their work, and here, not at all. I often hear "I´ll do it tomorrow," which is a very popular and well represented phrase in Chile. As for me, I am having trouble with the "be patient" part. Let me explain....

Several issues have come up since last week. Here at the school we had the anniversary celebrations (similiar to the homecoming activities in high school), and half my classes were canceled due to all this. I was not happy when few students actually ended up coming to the classes that were still going on. To top it off, I had a difficult time with many of the activities students were allowed to participate in for the anniversary celebration. . If you saw the pictures you would most likely agree. My colleagues were surprised by my shock, and I shared with them the reality of schools in the states. The movies we produce are not realistic, and they were shocked by the rules my high school had for the students. That is not all...

Last Friday was the formal ceremony for the school and a small after celebration at the school for the staff and some students. It was a nice setup. There were cakes and small appetizers, along with champagne and soda. Of course the champagne was for the adults, but when students are present problems can occur. A student in one of my classes came and stood behind me in the corner. I noticed he had one of the glasses for champagne, and it was empty. I told him that he was not supposed to be drinking. He asked for me to keep it a secret, laughed, and said that I was his friend. I had to make it clear to him that drinking at school is not permitted and I am his professor, not his friend. A coworker, my friend, told me to let it go, and that sometimes it happens. I was upset but did not want to create an issue at that moment. But what happened next made me furious. I watched an inspectora young man who works as one of the security guys (to maintain order and enforce rules at the school), hand a glass of champagne to a female student. I told my friend, who then told another inspector, Roberto. Roberto addressed this inspector and he denied it. Nothing happened after this. The issue was dropped! At that moment I decided I did not care about the excuse "it´s Chile." I could not stand by and participate in an activity where a member of the staff was doing something wrong and nothing was done. I walked, well probably kinda stormed, out of the room. Another teacher noticed I was upset and followed me out. I guess with my blonde hair and expressive face I cant leave unnoticed! I told her how I felt and stayed in the classroom for the rest of the celebration.

On Monday I had a meeting with the director. I expressed my dissatifaction with my classes, the disorganized, the inappropriateness of the anniversary activities, and the incident on Friday. I did this through my cooperating teacher as my translator. She encouraged me to talk with him (she agrees with me) and supported my decision. In regards to the activities, I even mentioned a point about how girls cannot value their bodies, or even the boys cannot value women, if they are allowed to behave this way. But of course even the director had some riduculous excuses for why they can do nothing about it, such as the media influence. To sum it up, he admitted they have no control over it even if they do not like it! I could not believe this was coming from an educated professional...but "it´s Chile!"

As for my classes, since there is lack of communication between teachers and students, they organized a meeting today with all the students who are supposed to be in my classes. Good thing I did not recognize over twenty of the students! So apparently now they know they are supposed to come, but will it happen? Secondly, I am so frustrated by the fact that now I will be getting new additions to my supposed "established classes" and Im going to have to continue reteaching material some students have already learned. This is a mess. Please pray for me to have patience.

1 comment:

  1. hi Jennifer... i love your adventures... don't lose your heart... you're a excellent teacher and this things happen here en Chile... I know that things are "weird" for you, but here nobody care about... nobody... just be stroooong...
    a hug.
    Jorge (from the liceo).

    ReplyDelete