Friday, August 14, 2009

Wait...What???

That is what I am thinking quite often. What did you just say?? How am I supposed to do that?? The language barrier causes me to be confused often, but I am enjoying trying to understand what the heck people are talking about. Last night I went to a tea/farewell party with some of the teachers at my school. They love trying to communicate with me, either in English and VERY SLOW Spanish, but other times they just talk quickly to one another. They fill me in between topics. It is pretty funny when they are telling jokes and reach the punchline and everyone laughs...except me. I just say, "no entiendo nada." (and laugh of course)
My job here is going to be challenging, but also very rewarding. The more I have learned about my students and this school this week, the more I desire to help. The students here are in desperate need of attention, someone to care about them, and someone to tell them they are doing a good job. I loved having a new class everday because it gave me and opportunity to show each student that I am excited to work with them and I care about them and how they do in my class. At first the students were closed off (this is typical), but after being in my class for an hour I can happily say I was able to get some form of response from each student. Some laughed at me, others tried to answer my questions, and some just started to pay closer attention to what I was saying.
I must say it still surprises me sometimes how different things are here. I have seen some more girls in my school who are pregnant, and I finally asked how many total are in the school...the answer-21! OH. Its such a problem, but it just keeps going on. The kids in the private schools are the ones with the best education. Two teachers here teach at a local private high school, and the differences are noticeable. The students are more motivated, there are supplies for the students and teachers, and the class sizes are small. Sounds like some parts of the American education system. It´s frustrating, but it´s reality. I just hope to give some students here a boost in confidence, and maybe help some think of different possibilities for their lives. But that takes time, which I do not have here. Four months is going to go by so fast.....
Well Im definitely the talk of the school. People of course notice the blonde hair and green eyes, but its my actions that people are noticing most. The fact that I helped clean my own classroom and move computers people think is crazy. Apparently only the cleaning lady and the "big strong men" are supposed to do those things. I also helped clean off some of the desks of the writing and white out the students love to use. A man at the school was apparently so surprised by this he took a picture! He says he never sees the teachers do these things. Oh, and the fact I drink so much water. Its odd to everyone here. They drink a lot of tea, juice, and soda. I like to walk to and from school. I need the excercise, but this is not normal either. Many people drive or take collectivos! Hey, its only 7 minutes to school. I think I am ok with being the gringa loca. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment