Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A chicken with the head cut off...

My friend here always says that about me. It´s quite funny and now is an inside joke between us. I am always leaving my things in various places and then run around scrambling looking for that one thing that I really need. It also explains how I feel many other times down here. Once things seem to relax, something else comes around that shakes my balance.
The first few weeks after I returned from visiting home, I was quite sad to be back. My motivation seemed to have gone and I was missing everything from home. Going from a more than pampered lifestyle back to just sufficient is not a dream. It´s difficult, and I occasionally question what Im doing here. Thats when I need to rethink over my goals and if I feel I doing something worthwhile. I keep having to remember even if the classes arent progressing as I wish them too (which is impossible with the schedule) there are changes I dont take notice of as much as I should.
Besides missing home, there were some complications with my job. Since the lady in charge of personnel did not know every aspect of having a foreigner on the payroll, she did not know and therefore tell me that I needed to have my license and degree authorized in Chile to work as a teacher in the public schools. When those in charge of monitoring the schools noticed that my degree was not validated here, they stated that it needed to be corrected or they would be fined heavily. This is not a just system, since the school depended on the woman in personnel to do her job and know all parts. Everyone tried to rush and correct the mistake at the last mistake, saying my schedule, along with the other English teacher, should be reorganized so she would be in charge of my classes. I could still teach, but all responsibilities wouldbe given to her. I would also possibly teach the older grades just for an hour. My hours would stay the same...blah blah. It was a mess, andI was not happy to have everything changed when I dont even receive all the benefit (monetarily) that the others teachers do because of my degree.
Thank goodness the school decide the schedule change and conflict was more work than necessary and we are keeping it the way it is. They are just waiting to see if they get caught again more or less.
Last week I had a student go into a seizure during class. I was turned around when it started, and after students called for my attention I realized what was happening. Oh I have not been that scared in a long time. Ran outside to call for help and after a few times screaming ¨emergency¨ and ¨hes not breathing,¨ they finally realized at least there was a problem. By the time they came up, the seizure was beginning to subside. I had to then get the class in order and calm them down. A few were crying and the rest were just in shock or were curious as to what had just happened. The best way I could, I decided to take the route of explaining what happened inside the little boy´s body and why his body was reacting the way it was. I made sure to explain the seizure was minor and he would be fine. It just happens sometimes. They went to wash their faces and I let them calm down in the classroom. Long afternoon. Thank goodness my co worker and close friend came in, asked me if I was alright, and then I went outside just to breathe for a minute.
The following week I had a girl throw up during class...whats next? hahaha.
Im a lot happier now. Im not loving my town, but Im trying to find things I can look forward to. I went to La Serena last weekend to visit another past volunteer and I met some great new people that she met through her job. This weekend is Chile´s Independence, which is comparable to Christmas in the states, and since we have 4 days off Im going back. She has a nice apartment right on the beach. Since Im considering staying next year, and only in La Serena, that is where I want to be. But I can explain more on that later....

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Chicken, hahaha, what a mess is going on your adventure here in our crazy (and lazy) town... I'm sorry for that, but you have friends that love you here, don't forget that, and don't give up, you know, at least you'll get some stories to tell to your grand sons and daughters, hehehehe... Call me.

    ReplyDelete